Binge watching on Netflix is supposedly one of the popular ways of coping with stress, among today’s millennials. But may we remind you, it is an unhealthy way of doing so. Stress affects us both mentally and physically. Hence, it is important that we reduce stress through natural means.
While some might argue there are medications that help in calming our minds instantly and effectively, let us tell you (from personal experience), these are not permanent solutions; just temporary fixes...some that could even have side effects as well. On the other hand, natural remedies are inexpensive, safer and have no side effects, unlike prescription drugs.
There are numerous reasons why you should work on reducing stress levels - The stress hormone, Cortisol, effects blood pressure and causes inflammation, which in turn, can result in gaining weight and create a low immune system. So, here are some of the natural ways you can get rid of everyday stress:
- Sleep is one of the best ways to calm your mind. A good 8 hours of sleep every night will lead to a fresh mind in the morning.
- A balanced diet is a sure shot way of reducing stress. Foods that are high in fiber and antioxidants are good for health while sugar, caffeine and alcohol intake should be limited. Instead go for herbal teas like Chamomile, which is known for reducing anxiety.
- Exercises like walking, running, Zumba, yoga, meditation or mindfulness and deep breathing exercises are some really useful ways to combat stress. This helps lower stress hormones and also release endorphins (chemicals that improve one’s mood and act as natural painkillers).
- Aromatherapy or using essential oils or burning a scented candle can help demote feelings of stress and anxiety. Listening to soft, slow-paced instrumental music is effective as well. Mother Nature’s sounds can also be very soothing, which is why it is recommended to perform meditation in open spaces early in the morning. A body massage after a long day at work can also be soothing.
- Last but not least, laughter is a proven way to reduce stress hormones including adrenaline, dopamine and cortisol. Plus, limit your internet and cellphone usage. Staying disconnected can relieve stress and lead to a good night’s sleep.